Wednesday, October 3, 2012

I found this poem in the Random House Book of Poetry for Children today while looking for poems for school. I like especially the part of when I'm getting old, at twenty-eight or nine--I guess I am past due to go to the orphanage...

If No One Ever Marries Me (1897) by Laurence Alma-Tadema

If no-one ever marries me--
And I don't see why they should,
For nurse says I am not pretty
And I'm seldom very good--

If no one ever marries me
I shan't mind very much;
I shall buy a squirrel in a cage,
And a little rabbit-hutch;

I shall have a cottage near a wood,
And a pony all my own,
And a little lamb, quite clean and tame,
That I can take to town;

And when I'm getting really old, 
At twenty-eight or nine--
I shall buy a little orphan girl
And bring her up as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment